Many of the online tutorials include actual training sessions with a trainee dog. No training happens in isolation so, as well as the main topic of the tutorial, any training session can highlight other aspects of the dog’s work – good or not so good.
A typical example is Eve at the Pen.
At this point in her training Eve was becoming a very useful young dog, but you’ll see she isn’t perfect. The focus might be on working in and around the sheep pens, but the lesson demonstrates so much more!
Watch Eve at the Pen for help with:
- A dog who circles the sheep after its outrun, instead of bringing them to you
- A dog who brings only a few of the sheep – leaving some sheep behind
- Teaching the Look Back – to collect the left sheep and correct the habit
- Positioning the dog to push sheep into a pen
- Building the dog’s confidence
- Positioning the dog to move sheep through a race
- Using your body position to control the dog
- Stopping the dog at the back of the pen, behind the sheep, and keeping it there
- Leading the dog into a crowded pen to accustom it to working close to the sheep
Eve at the Pen is a 36 minute training session, demonstrating some common problems and full of valuable advice to improve your dog’s work (and your own).
To watch the online tutorials you’ll need to be logged in as a paid member.