Stopping the dog is a great help, but don’t rush it!
A huge thank you to the subscriber who let us know they were having problems running Part Three of our Stopping the Dog tutorial.
The entire tutorial has been taken apart and put back together again, and not only is it up and running as it should be, we think it’s better than ever. So if you’ve tried to watch it and couldn’t, or haven’t looked at the Stopping the Dog series yet, we recommend you check it out.
Achieving a good Stop can involve many other aspects of your dog’s training, and will be affected by his character and, possibly, yours too.
In Stopping the Dog Part 3 you’ll see:
- The importance of balancing control of the dog with protecting the dog’s confidence
- Modifying your approach to match the various characteristics of the dog (if it’s aggressive, sticky, shy etc.) and matching the intensity of training with the sensitivity of the dog
- Coping with a dog that won’t stop
- There are good and bad times to attempt to stop the dog. Learn how to judge an opportunity, or when there’s no way the dog will stop
- The benefits of keeping a dog in place once you’ve stopped it – and why you need to let it go again
- The importance of the tone of your voice
- How to DELIVER your commands for best effect
- The importance of preventing boredom by setting yourself and the dog simple tasks, rather than just repetitive training (though that’s important too)
The Stop can be a big problem for many new or inexperienced handlers (and sometimes, even the experienced ones) but understanding why it isn’t working for you and your dog can often lead the way to improved work all round.
Clear, inexpensive, sheep and cattle dog training instruction
Over 70 clearly explained, easy to follow sheep and cattle dog training videos for first time sheepdog trainers, farmers, and shepherds. Watch the preview here!
For a very small monthly (or annual) subscription, watch many hours of expertly presented sheepdog training lessons. Not just theory – we show you what should happen, and what to do when things go wrong. Signup now. You may cancel payments at any time and continue to watch for the period paid for.