As the photo shows, being close to the sheep in a confined space can be intimidating for any dog and, as usual, confidence is key. For help with this type of work, watch our Eve at the Pen tutorial.
Watch Eve at the Pen for help with:
- A dog who circles the sheep after its outrun, instead of bringing them to you
- A dog who brings only a few of the sheep – leaving some sheep behind
- Teaching the Look Back – to collect the left sheep and correct the habit
- Positioning the dog to push sheep into a pen
- Building the dog’s confidence
- Positioning the dog to move sheep through a race
- Using your body position to control the dog
- Stopping the dog in the back of the pen, behind the sheep, and keeping it there
- Leading the dog into a crowded pen to accustom it to working close to the sheep
Although the focus of this session was working in and around the sheep pens, it demonstrates so much more! Eve at the Pen is a 36-minute training session, showing some common problems and full of valuable advice to improve your dog’s work.
And if you’d like to see how Jet’s mum, Kay, dealt with the “scary place” you can read the blog and watch a video HERE!
ONLINE SHEEP AND CATTLE DOG TRAINING TUTORIALS
Clear, inexpensive, sheep and cattle dog training instruction
Over 70 clearly explained, easy to follow sheep and cattle dog training videos for first time sheepdog trainers, farmers, and shepherds. Watch the preview here!
For a very small monthly (or annual) subscription, watch many hours of expertly presented sheepdog training lessons. Not just theory – we show you what should happen, and what to do when things go wrong. Signup now You may cancel payments at any time and continue to watch for the period paid for.