Paid membership required to watch tutorials – find out more
There’s so much for a young sheepdog to learn, but is the order important? Is there a correct sheepdog training program or training itinerary for all dogs?
It can be difficult to decide what to teach, and when to teach it. There are few hard and fast rules in sheepdog training, but this tutorial shows you the basic plan that we adopt when we’re training a puppy or young (or even not so young) sheepdog.
This is a logical progression through the sheepdog skills your dog will need, but take advantage of opportunities as they arise in the course of a training or work session – it’s important to be open-minded about training your dog.
This tutorial includes:
- Bonding with your dog, and the first commands
- How to instil confidence in your dog (see also the Training Short “The Dog’s Confidence”)
- Using the training ring
- Teaching the sheepdog to go around the sheep
- Stopping the dog (see also the Training Short “Stopping the Dog”)
- Teaching the dog to bring the sheep to you (also see the “Walking Backwards” tutorial)
- Starting work in the open field (also see the “Coming Out” tutorial)
- Increasing the working distance between dog and sheep (also see the “Give the Sheep Space” and “Close Work” tutorials)
- The Look Back command
- Teaching the outrun (covered in more detail in the “Outrun 1 & 2”)
- Varying the lessons, and taking off the pressure
- Driving – ready or not? (covered in detail in Driving 1, 2, & 3)
- Conflict and confusion for the sheepdog (see also “Shedding” & “Driving”
The Tutorials Library includes other tutorials that will be helpful in the early stages of training your first herding or sheep working dog, or even before you start. Take a look at “The Training Stick”, “Learn Your Commands” and “How Often, for How Long?”
Visit the Tutorials Library.
English SUBTITLES are available on all our sheepdog training tutorials!
Clear, inexpensive, sheep and cattle dog training instruction
Over 70 clearly explained, easy to follow sheep and cattle dog training videos for first time sheepdog trainers, farmers, and shepherds. Watch the preview here!
For Español or English SUBTITLES click “CC” on player.
For a very small monthly (or annual) subscription, watch many hours of expertly presented sheepdog training lessons. Not just theory – we show you what should happen, and what to do when things go wrong. Signup now. You may cancel payments at any time and continue to watch for the period paid for.